Thursday, October 20, 2005

Record Deal False Alarm

As most of you know, we recently had our first E.P. pressed, and when we did, I mailed out a copy to a bunch of labels, both major and local indie labels, in the hopes that someone, somewhere would want to finanace a full length album. I haven't really thought much about it since then, until Monday.

I was at work, and as usual, my cell phone rang inthe afternoon, and I just ignored it until I went on my lunch break at about 2:30. When I checked my message, it said this:

"Hey Jon this is Eric at Liquid 8 records. We got the demo package you sent us, I think it was addressed to another guy in our A&R department, but anyway, I gave it a listen. It's really cool stuff man, really cool. So give me a call and we can talk."

So after changing my now soiled underwear, and calling the blokes (Tori didn't answer his phone, the jerk), and with a thousand thoughts of a record deal spinning through my head, i called Eric back.

Sadly, it was a false alarm.

He explained that their label doesn't really have any room in their roster, and they don't finance the recording of CD's, they mostly help bands that have recorded a CD themselves with the distribution and marketing aspect of the business, but he wanted to let me know that the music was really, really great, and that we should keep working, because we're bound to get signed, and that hopefully one day he'll be able to buy our album at Best Buy. He may also be coming to our next show.

So it was really great feedback, and very encouraging, but also very emotionally exhausting.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home